Thursday, October 31, 2019

I Freaking LOVE the Duel of Wits


I do not care what others say. You can tell me that Burning Wheel is a byzantine mess of rules, which have weird and random applications. You can tell me that there are far too many skills that are totally unnecessary to run the game. You can say all those things, and it's legitimate to feel that way. But you're wrong, because the Duel of Wits exists and no other game has come even close to replicating the stories it's produced at my table. And, while the other BWHQ systems approach this level of emotional wringing, I think the Duel of Wits is the best at it, and may be BWHQ's star achievement.

First off there's the interaction table itself, which is one of the most intimidating things I've ever seen, seemingly second only to the Fight! table. On playthrough, however, Duel of Wits is the least complicated of the three extended conflicts. You pick out your actions, play it out against the other guy's stuff, and resolve it. It's rather straightforward. But the interplay with roleplay is what makes it stand apart from Fight! and Range and Cover. Emotion enters this unpredictable table, and because the emotion is so direct it means you're taking on this emotional roller coaster as well. When you enter a Duel of Wits you go to a place that is, to my experience, unique to the BWHQ games. Your arguments, your very soul, are subject to this whirlwind of a system. 

Once you're done with the rollercoaster the Duel of Wits then throws the possibly of Compromises at you. This means that, if you won (and are thus on an emotional high) you'll have to come down a bit. That's directly contrasted with the satisfaction of the loser, because they get something for their trouble! The emotional states of the players flip and you have to deal with this sudden reversal. However you came out in the wash you then have to do something to appease the other player, which helps with some particularly nasty Duel of Wits conflicts I've seen. Everyone can walk away at least mollified by the harrowing experience of arguing over the fate of the world, win or lose.

And, as if that's not good enough, there's the option to attempt to murder the dude who just beat you fairly! It's a dastardly move, and when it's used there's always this smirk that the player who invokes the rule has on his face: "I know you beat me, but I'm going to cheat. So there!" The release valve is now in a moment of pitched violence, as the two players struggle to see who will actually walk away from the argument. It's cheap, dastardly, and so very much fun. 

I dunno. I think there's so many good things about this game it's hard to list them, and I always find myself at a loss for how to describe my experiences playing this game. The Duel of Wits is a huge part of that experience for me. Next to the Trait Vote (which I think every game should have a variant of, just like Duel of Wits) I think it's one of my favorite mechanics in all of gaming, to the point that I don't really want to play in a game without it!

ADDENDUM: Of course Andy had to show me this:
I apologize for not making anything half so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment