Wednesday, September 23, 2020

The Pull: September 2020 Edition, Part Two


I can honestly say I've not been so excited for comics in my entire life. Not a single issue in my pull this month has been a dud. At first I just thought the last few months have been lucky, but no my friends, I do not believe this to be the case. Even the ostensibly weakest title in my pull, X-Men, is still a great title. I will not ask how I lucked out so; American comics can be very fickle, quality-wise. I'm going to take what I can get. 


The Amazing-Spider-Man #48


Oh my goodness. This title. This month. Sin-Eater has been going around and killing people... who come back to life with all their flaws gone. But the guilt is still there. And they're tormented by it. And if they were super-powered Sin-Eater gets their powers as well, which makes him practically unstoppable. 

Now he's going after Norman Osborn.

The whole issue revolves around Peter agonizing if he's going to try and save Norman from Sin-Eater or not, or even if what Sin-Eater is doing is actually evil in the first place. Well, everyone else is wondering about that last part. But not Peter. He's got no doubts about that, to his credit. But the thing that Spencer brings up is that Peter has sworn two oaths: Norman Osborn must die for what he did to Gwen Stacy, and no one will ever die on his watch, ever again, in part because of what happened to Gwen. The first oath was sworn with all the rage of a heartbroken lover, the second one was forged over years of selflessness. 

I've come to the conclusion that Peter's arc was to become the man Uncle Ben had become to him in death, for everyone. There's a story where, when someone asks Spider-Man what his name is so they can name their baby after them, he tells them the name "Ben".  I don't think that's an accident. Ever since Uncle Ben's death Peter has demonstrated a universal truth: our dead loved ones live on, inside of us. We live out their life, their values, in us. We may not be aware that we do this, but everything I've seen has convinced me this is the case. I bring this up because the entire issue revolves around Peter deciding to let himself be a little bit more like his Uncle Ben, the kind man who would not let his pain stand between him and his principles. 

Uncle Ben wins out. And everyone else is horrified by Peter's decision to save Norman Osborn, a man who will assuredly kill again. And they're going to try to prevent him. 

A small note on the art: I thought the issue was penciled by Mark Bagley. It's not: Marcelo Ferreira is the culprit. This guy is clearly influenced heavily by Mark Bagley, which is not a bad thing... but it's still a bit weird to see someone copy the master so much. I'm still a little weirded out by it, but at least the dude's good, y'know?

X-Men #12

I am officially in awe of Hickman. He finds the smallest cracks in the Marvel Universe, little spots where nobody has thought to go, and makes them explode with life. There's a vitality to this issue as Summoner explains the world of Amenth and sets us up for Storm of Swords. I will not be sinking the small fortune necessary to follow that crossover, which is a pity. The mythology of this issue is just freaking spot on. The gaps that Hickman finds and exploits are just a genuine pleasure to read, not counting the art from Yu, which feels gritty but epic at the same time. Every time I read one of Hickman's issues my brain breaks open and has to go and reboot. And that's certainly not any different this time.


Darth Vader #5

"No one is ever really gone" says Luke, decades later. If ever there was a phrase that sums up Star Wars it's that one. And this comic leans into that phrase as hard anything ever can. Anakin goes to find where Padme gave birth, on Polis Massa. It's a journey that thrives upon the emotional turmoil that Vader now feels because of Luke's rejection. Forced to destroy the folks who practically worship his dead wife Vader is finally able to hear his wife's last words: "There is still good in him. I know it". 

This was not something I expected. I'm not sure why I didn't, but it gives this amazing shot of Vader looking down, at the droid and into his own heart, to hear Padme's final words of love and faith. That hit me much harder than I thought it would, which has been the story of my time with this series so far. Fantastic.

Star Wars #6

Luke Skywalker is, at his heart, a person who simply wants to help those who need it. When faced with Leia's imprisonment Luke went to whatever lengths necessary to rescue her, including almost sacrificing his life and the lives of his compatriots. When Luke in Battlefront II spares an Imperial trooper's life he says he did it simply because he was given the chance to do so. A simple desire to preserve life is at the core of Luke's motivation. And then begins to show its head here, in Star Wars #6. Luke simply will not take the life of anyone that he does not have to, even if they almost killed him. He wishes to help, no matter the cost. 

The struggle for Luke, as Verla hints at, is not whether he can help or not, but whether or not he should. Verla is very open about how worthless a life of sacrifice had become to her. It's of importance to note that Luke doesn't necessarily argue with her. Verla's arguments do seem to have some form of impact. He does hear them, but disagrees. This follows up on Anakin's frequent frustrations in trying to do the good that he can; Anakin wants to help but cannot, Luke can help but does not know if he should.

Become a Patron!

Come join the Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment