Saturday, March 7, 2020

Knives Out


I was going to go see Knives Out with my mom over Thanksgiving... and then I don't know what happened?

Here I am, months later?

I really don't have much of an excuse.

Point is, Knives Out is an amazing movie... and kind of a strange Rian Johnson film. His usual trademarks are here: a young brunette lady and two white dudes who are opposed to each other, with emotional ties between all three of them, sometimes romantic? I mean, it's not, not here, but the triangle is definitely set up. The interesting thing, at least to me, is how Johnson plays the triangle that he's set up.

Martha is the squeakiest cleanest brunette that Johnson has ever made. I wouldn't say she isn't complicated, but every last thing that makes up the character reinforces her innate goodness.Whenever  there is a question of whether Martha does the right thing or not she, invariably, picks the right decision. And it works! She holds faith and she not only gets exonerated from any suspicion, but gets her a nice and shiny house! And I don't hate her! I actually think it's nice to have a character that is just a genuine salt-of-the-earth lady, who just wants to make sure that the right thing is done, even if she can't quite figure out what that may be at times.

Blanc is not the main character. Repeat that with me. Blanc is not the main charater. He is an epically cool antagonist, one that more than deserves a sequel. But, for most of the movie, Blanc is the antagonist to Martha. He is there to get the truth, which could rip apart Martha's family. His goals appear to be utterly the opposite of Martha's, while obviously being affectionate towards our kind-hearted protagonist. The interplay between these two characters is the heart and soul of the movie.

And then there's Hugh. No, I will not call him Ransom.

Asshole.

I was one of the people who, when I saw Evans playing this character in the trailer, laughed. Evans has always been a smartass, and he finally got to return to his roots as someone who openly does not a flying fig whatever you think. As the third corner of the triangle Evans plays his role with a gleefully greasy charm that could only have happened by having to play the only character who could have out good-guyed Martha: Captain America. I mean, I want more of Evans chewing scenery. Please, Hollywood, I beg of thee!

Yes, Hugh is another antagonist. In fact, everyone else in this thing seems to be. Hugh just happens to be the frontman for a sea of wretches and scumbags, all of whom have been using society to feel OK with whatever it is they're doing. Of all protagonists in a Johnson film Martha is the most alone. I mean, even Brendan from Brick at least had Brain! Martha doesn't seem to really have anyone. The pressure is exerted upon her from each and every side, and while she does triumph she is not unscathed.  And this has nothing to do with the politics; trying to put this movie under a political light is just outright stupid. For those of you on the left, your ideology is trashed just as much as the alt-right, if not more. So love of God please get off of the fake moral high horse you think you have

Yes, I felt better after that. No, I'm not alt-right. Or liberal. They're all evil bastards, far as I'm concerned.

The only thing that matters, the only thing, is that they're all against Martha at the end. Left, right, it matters little, they all stand against the beacon of light and goodness that the movie has so convincingly erected. Johnson is not known for his comfortable endings. Brick's ending lives up to its name, smashing you in the face with something I find more heartbreaking every time I watch. I still haven't figured out The Brothers' Bloom's ending. Looper's emphasis on suicide to get things done still jumps out at me. And The Last Jedi's showing of Rey shutting out the confused, overwhelmed, and vulnerable villain Kylo Ren still gives me pause. There was a moment, just one moment, where Ben may have come back, and she turned her back on him. 

I do not pretend to have a definitive view on any of those endings. But this ending is the hardest one to watch. It sticks in my head and torments me. Martha won. She stands above them, in white, as they stand in the gathering grey. How much does it matter what their facial expressions are? They all betrayed her, even the ones who you would have figured wouldn't. They all revealed their true colors. Goodness and kindness did, in fact, triumph over evil and greed and self-deception.


But for how long?

I've no bloody idea. And neither does Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment