Friday, July 24, 2026

Read-Thru of Wight-Box: Book One, Heroes

 


Okay, look, we gotta talk really quick.

Coz I screwed up.

I backed this day one. Was really excited for it. Went through all three books. And went, "Meh, I'll look at this later."

If the Basic Expert reads this, yeah, I slept on this.

Okay, crow's been eaten. Onward.

So, after a few months of just not looking at these three little booklets, I just picked 'em up on random. I'd not given up on the game, just it had been sitting there for an opportune moment. Well, this was that moment. I sat down, followed the directions, and made a character in... ten minutes. Like, a fully formed character. Ready to go. And a good amount of detail for something so fast, too!

That's absolutely crazy.

Some of the directions (like with elves) could have been clearer, but a quick internet search and pinging B/XE's Discord server answered them. It is essential to mention that they're friendly bunch, who put up with me pretty well! So, I was able to get my answers pretty quickly. One could argue that I shouldn't have to do that, but I've written enough rulebooks to know that is always going to be a thing, so you may as well have your community be friendly while you're at it.

For some reason, what was an otherwise unremarkable book stuck at out me this time. I've found that I have plenty of stuff where I have to put some intensive effort into setting up. I generally prefer it this way, to be honest. I like having some set up, because I like having thematic coherence; I find it fun. 

However, there's something just so incredibly pleasing about being able to sit down, roll 3d6 six times, and then make the best of it. It is a fundamentally different experience, but I am a glutton for collecting experiences, so, I am beginning to find that Wight-Box is scratching an itch that I didn't know I could have... with a bit of crunch and depth. Which Wight-Box has.

But no thieves, kthx.

And honestly? That’s fine. Because what Wight-Box delivers in return is something I didn’t realize I was missing: pure, unfiltered play. No sixty-page character backstory required. No session zero spreadsheet. Just roll your stats, pick a class, and go be a murderhobo (or a noble defender of the realm, whatever floats your boat). There’s a beautiful honesty to it.

I’ve spent years chasing elaborate campaigns, and thanks to Crescendo they my track record of successful launches are getting higher and higher. And that's great! But Wight-Box just hands you a little sailboat and says “the wind’s already blowing.” 

Ten minutes later you’re actually playing the damn game. 

And that's pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment