Thursday, January 30, 2020

May the Power Protect You: Kat Hillard (MMPR Pink)

The next few posts are going to be on the second generation of MMPR. I will not cover zords in these posts, as they're relatively self-contained and advising on them wouldn't change terribly much between the differing characters. Yes, these are Kickstarter-exclusive characters. They use the same deck with a different character ability, which changes their playstyle quite a bit. Well. Most of the time.


What's worse for the monsters than a character who can tac-nuke? A character who is really hard to hurt and is also a tac-nuke! For most of these Gen 2 Rangers I find that my advice significantly changes based upon the character's ability. This doesn't surprise me all that much, given how much of HotG's DNA is founded upon 4e D&D, where the interaction between class abilities and powers are what makes the character unique. Kat is the only Gen 2 who does not need a set of advice about how to use her deck that is contradictory to her Gen 1, Kimberly. All advice in this post is in addition to Kimberly's post. Well, Kimberly's ability excepted, of course. I think Kat is much more flexible, while losing hardly any of the damage potential Kimberly has.

Kat's ability lets you draw two cards when you defend, picking whichever one you like. I cannot begin to overstate how powerful this ability is. Kat is easily in the top three defenders in the whole game. She can weave and dodge hits that nobody else can, by the simple virtue of having an actual choice of cards when defending. Personally, I greatly prefer this ability to Kim's. The one damage at the beginning of the round is nice, but Kat's ability syncs with her deck so well that I feel foolish for recommending Kim over Kat. That one damage usually makes quite the difference, but I personally prefer being able to soak hits over damage when it comes to MMPR Pink's deck.

Acrobatics comes into its own with Kat. You can choose a card that you know you want and, even if it goes into the discard pile, you can grab it! This makes Kat ridiculously flexible, capable of adapting to almost any situation. Granted, this can make Kat's Recovery actions pretty limited, because what sane man wouldn't pick Acrobatics?? I mean, you'll be discarding attack cards and whatnot, but as soon as you get your go-to cards like Flying Kick out of the discard pile make sure your Acrobatics cards are back in your deck. Actually, I don't even think that may be true. When in doubt pick Acrobatics.

Literally the rest of the advice I would give would come from Kim's post: you are the killer. No monster is safe from you, while you are much safer from them than practically anyone else in your team. Be fearless! They can barely touch you and you can hurt them, badly. Go forth and conquer!

Kat is easily my favorite of the MMPR pinks and my second favorite pink ranger (more on that in the future). Tough and incredibly powerful, she can walk through most situations with ease, whether it be attack or defense. Yeah, that one damage is to be missed, but the utility you pick up in exchange literally can't have a value put on it. Kat is a touch more challenging to play, but the increased utility is so important that I would hesitate to point a newcomer to anyone but Kat. I mean, yes, technically Kim and Kat are balanced, but I know for a fact who I would pick, every time. Sorry Kim. Maybe I'll write you a "Dear John" letter, like you did to Tommy.

Meh, too much work.

Besides, I'm more of a blonde sorta guy.




No comments:

Post a Comment