Friday, July 31, 2020

The Giggling Dark: Session Twenty-Nine, Trait Vote the Last


I still can't believe we're here. Seriously. This is amazing. This was the first solo campaign I started. I was sick of missing gaming, GMing in particular, and just needed something to do as I was cleaning the kitchen at night for my long suffering and angelic wife. But I had an idea. And it wouldn't leave my head. So I called Ryan, who seemed to be itching as badly as I was for a game. And we were having a blast! I decided to start putting the session posts up, just for fun. I figured it was a good, if incredibly dark, story about a boy turning into a man, and wanted to see what others thought of it too.

I've done not one. Not two. Not three. But five campaigns since then.

Five.

Turns out that people not only liked what I was doing with Ryan, but wanted to join in. And I've just been very steadily plugging away at this little blog ever since. I've added in other games, done reviews, even have a small group doing random things from time to time, and of course there's the Power Rangers posts! Can't forget about those. I'm insanely indebted to that community for reading and checking out the rest of the blog.

But it all started here.

We didn't intend to end this particular campaign here, honestly. There's a lot more to Xellous the Celestial Knight, Kora, and Threen. We're doing another campaign to find out what happens to them. That's coming and I'm so excited! But when we got done with Session Twenty-Eight something in my heart said "This is done. Cut it here." And when I thought it over we had gone well beyond the bounds of the dark gritty fantasy that Ryan and I had first envisioned. And that was fine and all, but I knew I needed to renegotiate what was going on in the game. Ryan was a bit surprised, but he agreed after I explained myself. We need a genre shift.

IN SPACE!
 But first, we have to wrap this game up. At the beginning of the Trait Vote this is what Xellous had, trait-wise:

Tenacious
Hardworking
Blunt
Tough as Nails
Commanding Aura

We decided to award two traits to Xellous, while removing one. Blunt went right out the window. Xellous hasn't been socially awkward in a long time. Between the two of us we came up with three traits: Sixth Sense (which is essentially Xellous's Aura abilities expanding on their own), Loyal to Kora (gives a fourth Belief about how much Xellous loves Kora), and Show No Fear (good luck scaring Xellous, which is really the only way he makes Steel checks at all. We nixed Sixth Sense, as that wasn't something that really developed in play, although it was cool! Loyal to Kora just made sense.

So now it's:

Tenacious
Hardworking
Show No Fear
Tough as Nails
Commanding Aura
Loyal to Kora

We also looked through his Reputations. Mysterious Stranger was nixed. Hero of Khouria was expanded to 3D, as pretty much everyone in the world would have heard about what happened to Khouria and Xellous and Kora's role in saving it. His reputation of Rogue Mutant Human was 2D with khen-zai. Xellous killed one black khen-zai and disgraced another, so that's now a 3D Reputation, changed to Dangerous Rogue Mutant Human. And then, because he had communed with an ascended start, he now has a Reputation amongst stars as The Ascended Human, at 1D.

And there we have it! You've got someone who started as a thirteen year old, socially awkward  enchanting savant and ended as a socially powerful Celestial Knight! What a journey!

And there's still such a way to go...
Become a Patron!

No comments:

Post a Comment