Tuesday, July 28, 2020

May the Power Protect You: Tommy Oliver (Zeo Red)


DAMNIT GAME, STOP MAKING GOOD TOMMYS.

I mean.

Erhem.

Star Tommy is one of the most aggressive soft characters in the game. With more than half his cards having a star ability on them, Star Tommy is THE dude to jump on live grenades. Part tank, part frontman, all badass, Star Tommy can turn hits into grade A-munitions.

I thought that was clever.

Yes, you did too.

Those who figured it out, don't spoil the surprise. Thank you.


Star Tommy's character ability is so. Freaking. Good. Like I said: half of his cards have the star on them. You essentially have three different abilities to pick from. From energy generation to extra shields to boosting attacks you can boost your team in a way that would make Tiger Tommy jealous. I mean, damn.

I adore Lead By Example. This thing opens up not one, but two different chains that you can start combo'ing off of. Yeah, it costs an energy. I don't care. You throw this crap on with another Lead by Example, Zeo Yellow, and/or MMPR Red you can not only get energy back but then have two different combo chains going at the same time. Provided you got people to combo this card with some truly sickening things can happen. I've seen an entire board wiped from two Lead by Examples, easily.

Zeo Battle Sword is a beautifully hyped up version of Star Tommy's character ability. Grab two of the cards in your hand and get to use their star abilities. It's awesome. Again, the possibilities here are pretty wide. I personally prefer the Flying Power Kick, with that plus two dice for the next attack. Like, you can totally mix and match or just dive into one particular thing you need a lot of. I like my options to be wide open. Zeo Battle Sword gives that.

And then there's the actual cards with star on them. Before we go on, though, I gotta say that, while I usually find myself saying "TAKE ALL THE HITS", I don't do that with Star Tommy. His character ability allows him to access what's in your hand, so taking hits isn't something I do with him a lot. No, I have Tommy takes big hits. Someone hits you for 6? 7? 10? Throw Star Tommy in the way. There's nothing more satisfying than gaining two energy, +2D on the next attack, and a card pulled back from the discard pile. I mean, granted, Star Tommy should never taken another hit in his existence after that, but the blowback from taking a huge hit becomes fun.

Star Strike is your meat and potatoes zero energy 2D strike. It's star ability is to gain an energy. This one in particular always feels like a mood booster to flip up into. "Cool, we got an energy! That's exactly what we needed!" Just... man, it makes me feel good. I loved it with Billy, and I love here with Tommy. Yeah, you screwed me over, but someone else has that three energy weapon and we werre just short one... and vengeance is coming. Oh, just you wait.

I think I may be playing a lot of Star Tommy when Mastermind Mode hits in September. Just maybe.

Flying Power Kick is, once again, the meat and potatoes 1 energy 3D attack. Most of Star Tommy's actual offensive abilities are very simple. You get a good solid swing in. Pretty simple. I love the star ability on this card, +1D for the next attack is awesome!

Red Riposte lets you bump another card flipped for defense by +2 shields.  The star ability lets someone else return the top card of their discard pile to the top of their deck. So this lets Star Tommy help out other people even more than he already does, buffing and protecting others.

Red Zord V. Just... get the card for defense back and gain an energy?? On top of everything?  I love this zord! Did I mention that I want to play this guy for Mastermind??



Red Battlezord. No need for a card. Just get a 3D attack. Nice. Simple. No energy. It's wonderful.

Star Tommy may be my go-to in the upcoming Mastermind Wars. Simple offense, powerful defense, and tons and tons of middle fingers and high fives. I'd never really looked at a character and went "I want to use this to piss off someone", but Star Tommy is definitely  one of the top characters I'd want to use to do just that.

I'm so freaking excited. Become a Patron!

No comments:

Post a Comment