Thursday, April 30, 2020

Jen Scotts Appendix/Correction

To say that I have no patience for armchair opinions is a bit of an understatement. If someone tells me they have an opinion about something they have not tried themselves they usually  have to duck, and quickly. I'm OK with you saying "this is what I've heard" or whatever, but if you want an actual opinion that I'm going to give a crap about? Go do whatever it is. And, if someone has more experience than you do at that particular thing? Give way! Take your lumps and learn.

If only we lived up to our ideals, what a world that would be!

I had gone to one of the most experienced Jen Scotts players, a fellow named Tom, to get his perspective on Jen Scotts. He disagreed with my thoughts on Overclock, and said:

"I’m actually not too reluctant to discard a Warp Vector or an early game V-5 to an Overclock. Not always. But especially early on, you won’t need them back out right away (and Warp Vector is better in hand when you have something good to get back)"

And he really wanted me to talk about Chrono Saber, stating:

I would not underestimate Chrono Saber either. Can usually get a 3 die attack to finish something and therefore be energy positive.
And, y'know what? He's completely right! I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on all the characters in this game. I put up the label Musings on these blog posts because most of it is not actually advice. Having played the character a bit, as much as I can, these are my thoughts on them. And, while I've been told that I'm pretty insightful about the characters I write about, that's not really my goal. I'm just sitting over here, yammering crazily to myself, and hoping someone gets something out of it. Apparently there is some value, because why else would people keep reading?

And I was going to incorporate Tom's advice. Really. But, um, I kinda forgot. And yeah. That's kinda embarrassing. It's clearly more nuanced advice than my earlier draft, and I'd meant to incorporate it.  So I hope this helps clarify a bit more about Jen empowers everyone to play her better.

A sincere thanks to Tom Chorn for the advice and for being a good sport about forgetting to update the blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment