Saturday, December 7, 2019

Risk Legacy: First Impressions

I've been wanting to play this game for years. Back in college I'd gotten it to play with my RPG group... and we played one game. That's it. One. I'm not sure why, cause the game intrigued me! Part of it may have been that this was my first explosion of interest in RPGs. I was neck deep in Burning Wheel and couldn't quite move onto anything new. Or maybe I'd had enough of moving things around on a map (*sighs* oh 4e). Maybe it didn't click with the group? I don't know. Whatever it was, it wasn't until a few months ago that I began to feel the hankering for this game again. So I went and pulled out my copy.

MY BLOODY FAMILY HAD GONE AND PLAYED A GAME WITHOUT TELLING ME.

BABY SISTER?

BROTHER?

BROTHER'S FRIEND, WHO UP UNTIL THIS POINT WAS ALRIGHT IN MY BOOK???

Thank you, Dr. Cox, for your continued brilliance.


So I apologized to my board gaming group. I had talked the game up to them and now we couldn't use the board! There was just too much stuff. One of my buddies said that he'd buy it. And that was that!

So what's the game like?

Well, they added a new victory condition: getting four red stars. This is a much easier thing to do than standard Risk, where you have to wipe everyone else out. Now, granted, you can still do that, but it's going to be easier on everyone concerned if you're going for those stars. There are now stickers that you can put on the map, which grant differing bonuses or penalties to the area. You start with two: Ammo Shortage (which makes defense rolls harder) and Stronghold (which makes defense rolls easier). There are more.

Let's get to that, shall we?

Most of the game box has a ton of compartments in it, which are all hidden, with conditions for opening them. Almost none of them make sense. At least, not immediately. I wonder what's in them. This longing for knowledge drives the game forward, creating an addictive cycle not unlike the first time I tasted mulled wine and realized that I would never have a house without it, ever again. What, you've never had mulled wine?

Dude. Drop what you're doing and go get it. NOW.

Got a cup?


Isn't it delicious????

You're welcome!

OK, so opening up the box is terrifying. "What's done can never be undone" is the first thing you see as you open the box. Oh, and then the players have to claim responsibility for screwing up that world. You then choose factions (yeah, there's factions here. They're important. And awesome), as well as their ability from two different choices... and then tear up the other one. Yeah. It's an intimidating opening. It's amazing.


Now, the thing is that the first game is pretty normal Risk, albeit faster. You could probably play in about a half hour, assuming you follow the mostly-clear rulebook. And you'll place your stickers and name something. And it feels great. And you'll do it again. Except you'll find that the game feels a bit different. Those stickers change things up. And you'll find that things are starting to feel heavier. Nastier. And you'll want to keep opening those compartments. Cause that's crack. And you'll do it again. And again. And again. And all of a sudden you'll realize that you're playing a very different game.

Yeah, that feeling starts right at session two.

So, after we're done with the full campaign I'll write up an actual review. Spoilers coming ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Nice!
    I have been wanting to do that one too someday! Always loved the idea, hard to execute since it would compete with RPG nights.

    ReplyDelete