Monday, November 28, 2022

Son of Dathomir


The Clone Wars show was MASSIVE. From what I understand there were many more seasons beyond the seven that we got, with even some going into rough animatic form. Other stories, like Dark Disciple, were made into novels. The transformation of Darth Maul was made into a comic book, with an eye for the trades. It’s set between Maul’s capture by Palpatine and his reemergence in season seven of The Clone Wars. On the one hand I’m delighted by the story, which is excellent. On the other I’m peeved by the format and the fact that I incredibly important elements of lore were relegated to this comic… which I only recently discovered.

The story begins almost immediately after Maul was captured by Palpatine. Maul’s association of Mandalorians break out Maul easily… too easily. And Maul knows it. Instead of hiding he decides to take the fight to Palpatine immediately. It’s a game of cat and mouse where Maul thinks he’s the cat.

He’s not.

I love how Star Wars treats the problem of competing inner and cultural narratives. 

It’s strange coming to this comic post-TROS. Palpatine’s plan for immortality reads back into this book PERFECTLY. This book, along with the slaughter of the Nightsisters, forms a key part of the lore that made TROS inevitable. I get tired of the idiocy against that movie, and this book just makes that irritation all the stronger. I won’t go further into it than that, because I think folks should read the comic… but at least to me this link is incredibly clear.

Given how little I hear about Son of Dathomir, I’m surprised by not just its quality but importance to the lore of Star Wars. Maul makes a compelling journey, the plot is tight, and Sidious just becomes that much more of an asshole. And that can only benefit the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment