Friday, June 3, 2022

Spider-Man 94: Season Four


After a lackluster third season Spider-Man 94 had a lot of scrambling to do. And, while I was afraid they'd completely lose their touch at first, the fourth season manages to bounce back. By sticking with human motivations and keeping to their weird science roots Spider-Man 94 manages to turn in a good season. I'd not say it tops Season Two, but it's certainly in the ballpark. And hey, given how much I love season two that's something!

Let's get what I don't like out of the way first: production quality. Dialogue was always fast on this show, but the earlier portion of Season Four is downright unpleasant to watch. Had I not known from childhood how good this season can be I'd have given up! I find it that bad! Reused animation is fourth wall breaking at this point. There were various times throughout the season I was completely jolted out of watching because the show reused a shot that made absolutely no sense. Basic animation gets trampled on, and the results are repulsive.

Nowhere to go but up, right?

Actually yes!

After a disappointing and technically irritating opening featuring Robbie Robertson, we finally get this show's version of the Black Cat. This is definitely where my nostalgia kicks in. I love every second of these two episodes. The writers kick Felicia all the way into hot shit territory and, once again, surpass the source material.

Sorry comic book Black Cat lovers: she's boring.

@ me, go ahead. You're still wrong.

This version of Felicia (and Black Cat) is a beautiful combination of dangerous, inexperienced, and playful. I could never tell what she was up to, even with the benefit of seeing the show when I was younger. Every second of her on the screen is a good one. Cat breaks down "Spider's" defenses and baggage, helping him to recover from the grief of losing MJ. Spidey finally accepts Cat as a partner, two episodes later. Kraven returns and it's great to see him again. 

And then there's the Smythe/Silvermane episode. I didn't know if I was supposed to be laughing at Silvermane? But I did? Does that make me a terrible person? I don't really care. Cat was great and the reused animation was hilarious. And Silvermane's last line is worth it all. 

And my goodness, is this another two episodes of Morbius and Blade? With some damn fine work on Cat/Felicia as well? I think these are the best episodes of the season! This is another pair of episodes that just couldn't have been done earlier in the show. 

Oh, and they're actually building up the Harry subplot along the way this time! They learned!!! I love it when show runners learn from their mistakes. Harry's flip to the green side is really well done. I like how Norman manages to show up. And we also get the Punisher again, which is a most unexpected (but welcome) treat! If you're not choking up a little bit for Punisher's ray of hope at the end, then... Well, I'll have to call the battle van. Sorry.

The twist of MJ being back is so much crueler as an adult. This was such a sickening move on the writer's part. And I do mean that as a compliment.

Okay, honestly the next episode, featuring Mysterio, just isn't very good. I'm glad this season was shorter than three, but they could have cut this episode really easily and no one would have noticed. 


Yes, even with the unmasking at the end! I think just about anything else could have been done to make Peter realize he needed MJ more than anything and it would have been better.

The rest of the season is about these two deciding to love each other, regardless of cost. The rapport they build is so cool, so heartfelt, I just... Yeah. This is right in the nostalgia. I've no pretense to objective thought here. I just don't. This feels great to revisit. Even with the looming threat of the truth I can't help myself. 

They're happy.

 And they have it coming.

What the heck am I actually going to think of Season Five?

No comments:

Post a Comment