Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Impact!: Session Two

The Burning Wheel says that it's the person with the fire in his gut that is to become the GM. He must bring a vision for the others to not only care about but to modify and bring to life by joining their ideas to his, creating something far greater than the GM had envisioned. And I've found that to be true in all the campaigns I've run. Burning Wheel is a demanding game. It's not easy to play. But man, when everyone gives their all into it the results are spectacular. I can never be grateful enough for the people I play with, who have managed to take a world that I care about so much and make it so much better, because they're a part of it. Thank you, to all of you who play with me.

With this campaign and Suihkulahde I found myself in strange waters. Orcs are not a race I really sympathized with, in any iteration, and so I don't have a very strong connection to them. Having to figure out what the symbol of orc means to me has been no easy task, especially since Tolkien was never really comfortable with them either. What do you do with a race that was bred to be evil, but since all that exists is inherently good...

Guess I'll find out through play, won't I?

Will and Lena wanted to know what their pitch was. I'd no freaking idea for a week and a half. Normally I know what to do. I sure as hell didn't here. They asked a few times, I promised them something, and then realized I had nothing. So I sat down, looked at session one, and decided to hell with it, we were going to just keep chasing the rabbit. I was going to see how far these two folks wanted to screw over elves. So I said they needed to prove themselves to the Lone Keep. If they were going to be able to use the weapons of the Lone Keep they needed to be worthy of them.

I got some questions right after that of what the hell I meant by that. My group is comprised of those who want to redeem characters. How far in going to evil was I talking about here?  We'd all agreed to play a game where the evil is turned to good, so how far was I talking? I said we'd find out, but I'd not forgotten the mission statement of the group.

This is what came back:

Tekoshai

B1. I’m going to make sure I’m walking out of here with every advantage this place has to offer both myself and the orcs. 

B2. This Krakeru doesn’t seem like any other elf bastard I’ve had to work for. Maybe he can be useful. 

B3. Idiota was clearly Named appropriately; he won’t last the return trip if he doesn’t learn to break to the lash of his betters

I1. If someone challenges the hierarchy, put him in his place immediately. 

I2. Always use others when expedient

I3. Always protect yourself at all costs

Idiota

B1. Tekoshai can screw off, he doesn't deserve my respect 

B2. Elves evilness is destroying this planet, I must try to learn how to use these weapons of mass destruction to stop them at all cost

B3. I will not be persuaded from believing I'm the rightful heir to the throne

I1. when startled attack

I2. before entering a room, scan for danger

I3. once in a room scan for all possible exits

Krakeru looked at Tekoshai's works of torture and murder, genuinely impressed. Tekoshai was briefly uncomfortable, but accepted that Krakeru wasn't like most dark elves he'd worked with. Krakeru asked if Tekoshai was ready to move up in the world. Tekoshai told Krakeru to lead the way! So Krakkeru led Tekoshai through the double doors before them, where Idiota had walked through a few minutes before. Krakeru told Tekoshai that he couldn't use the weapons of the Lone Keep alone; he'd need help. And for that they needed Idiota.

The minotaur who had been standing next to Idiota asked him if he was willing to do whatever it took to restore the minotaurs, including destroying the elven race. Idiota said he'd do whatever it took. Just as he said this the doors opened, and in walked Tekoshai. 

Krakeru appeared next to Idiota, startling him. Will, who has a penchant for chaos, rubbed his hands in glee. I had him roll Intimidate, to see if he impressed Krakeru with the instinctual swing he was about to make. If  Idiota succeeded Krakeru would take a shine to Idiota and help reign in Tekoshai's own instinct of enforcing hierarchy. Lena and Will are very good friends, who like giving each other as much shit as they can in any game they play together, so they were both excited to get artha for doing what they do best. 

Idiota failed the roll. So Krakeru was... less than impressed with Idiota's aggression. So he didn't get in the way when Tekoshai got his lash out. I was still very uncomfortable with the idea that there was no whip skill, so I asked if it was okay to for me to check with the Burning Wheel Discord group really quick, to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Lena and Will gave permission, and for the moment we went with Agility versus Speed.... which Will borked. Hard. Tekoshai got an actual Light wound off on Idiota, forcing a Steel test. Which was also horribly failed.

Will chose for Idiota to run screaming. So off he went, through the eldritch eggs that were forming! All of us were laughing at just how badly this was going. So Tekoshai ran Idiota down, tackling him to the ground.

It was here we learned from Discord that there is a Lash skill, in the Codex, with trolls. Given how important the whip seemed to be to Tekoshai I asked if we wanted to allow Lena to swap out one of her weapon skills for Lash, as that would make the whip central to Tekoshai. Lena liked the idea, cracking some BSDM jokes which had Will and I laughing hysterically.

Anyway.

Tekoshai took out a knife and cut the symbol of his tribe into Idiota's flank. Idiota belonged to Tekoshai now and he was going to help unlock the weapons that Krakeru was offering them. Yet another borked rolled from Will; Idiota, cowed, called Tekoshai crazy under his breath as he got up, smarting from the carving in his flank.

Krakeru had two turmeltunuts (creatures who fall apart without the presence of pain) bring out a female elf who'd been caught trying to infiltrate the Keep. Two pairs of wicked-looking gauntlets were brought out, with all sorts of sharp curves and profane symbols etched into them. Tekoshai eagerly put on his pair and forced Idiota to put on his pair. Directed by Krakeru, Tekoshai punched the elf in the stomach. There was a scream that sounded like existential glass breaking; the elf's soul was literally punched out of her body, dipping it into Herna, the dark abyss that none wish to go to. The elf, when she came back, seemed happy to see Tekoshai and Idiota; they were going to fix everything, after all, how could she not be happy to see them?

Krakeru explained that if both pairs of gloves gripped the elf's head they could exorcise her soul and bring something else to take over the body. Tekoshai was ecstatic; Idiota was scared. So was the elf, as she realized they were going to do it. She pleaded with Idiota, telling him he had a choice. Idiota weakly told her he didn't; she disagreed, pitifully. A scream was heard from reality itself: metaphysical nails on a chalkboard. Ash came out of the elf's mouth. A fell light came into her eyes. The voice that now came out was male, deep and disturbing. It asked for Tekoshai's and Idiota's name. Tekoshai gave his.

So quick lore note: this is happening before session thirty-four of The Undertow. In that session Mikansia had discovered that Kotae Mah, the capital of the Elven Kingdoms had been ripped apart by civil war. I've no idea why, but I realized that this was the beginning of the devastation that Mikansia had walked in on. Like most things when GMing a game, it was a moment of "OH, RIGHT, OF COURSE!"

Krakeru told Idiota and Tekoshai that Kotae Mah was currently falling apart. Tekoshai and Idiota could go and unbalance the elves in their moment of weakness... destroy the elves with what looked like elves.

No comments:

Post a Comment