Friday, October 2, 2026

Always Winter, Never Christmas

 


This is a post about the conversations and experiences that killed my tolerance for endless, formless campaigns and forced me to start constructing a system that actually knows how to end.

The realization that time and narrative require rigid boundaries didn't just break my understanding of tabletop games; it became the foundation for how I rebuild them. When you realize a system lacks the structural mechanics to bear the weight of actual stakes—when there is no engine to measure the toll of the journey, no architecture for conviction, and no framework to forge a genuine ending—you have to design one yourself. 

I have a habit of collecting extremely traumatized people for friends. I don't mean "Oh, he had a hard life". I mean "Oh, someone dismantled you at an early age, burned down all the sense of safety you could ever have, and pissed in the ashes". It's a heavy thing, but these people have a perspective on aesthetics that's utterly unmatched. They don't have the energy to bullshit. They're not going to meet you halfway. 

You either meet them where they're at, or you don't.

It all had to be reassembled, as an adult, so they're much sharper about what they like and why. All the precision of a child, but none of the nostalgia to cloud it. And, because they had to start all over, their opinions are sharper, clearer, more primally accurate, and thus more correct than they'd otherwise be. 

I said what I said.

One of these friends, who I have known for years, has never played RPGs. He knows I love them, he knows I play them, but he has no direct experience. It's a topic we've discussed, for years. And then, one day, he found out that there are no actual structural support - act 1, act 2, act 3, this is how it ends -  and he was confused. "But people can't figure that kind of thing out, not innately. That's like saying it's always winter, but never Christmas!" And I knew what he meant: 

Narrative is a function of time, and time is independent of you. Things end, whether you like it or not. It's not a decision to be made. Time is involuntary, and meaning is made within its constraints.

I'd never really considered this, not seriously. I'd played TTRPGs since I was 15, starting with 3.5 DnD. I remember thinking that you did all 20 levels, just inherently, and that the 20 levels were a story structure. And I remember the exact feeling I had, when someone told me that was never the intent: "Then what the fuck am I supposed to be doing?" I remember forcing that feeling down, ignoring it for years, just "playing to find out", which in this case meant "Ignore common sense and play until everyone just sorta agrees it's done". Which almost never worked, just for the record. Either we'd play until we got sick of it, or things just petered out, or we'd realize that the real ending of the narrative was six sessions ago, and now we had this month and a half or more or just... treading water. I felt like twenty or so years of bad practice had been called out, all at once.

I contacted another such friend, who used to play TTRPGs and doesn't anymore, and asked him about the conversation, and he agreed. "Yeah, absolutely! That's why I don't play them anymore. You don't need to tell people what happens on the journey, but journeys end. You can go on a new journey, but the old one ended, and it happened regardless of what you did."

The thing was, this friend? He's the best GM I ever met. He ran two of the best campaigns I've ever been in. The two of us were totally in lockstep about aesthetics being the crown of ethics, that what you like is a deep reflection of what's in your soul. And if there was any one person I ever wanted to be like, in GMing, it was this dude. The games he ran for me actually changed my life, and in one case changed my soul. He understood things about running TTRPGs I could barely comprehend, true things, things that made me a better person, and when he walked away I had no idea what to make of it. 

Well.

Now he'd told me.

And there is no one alive who understands the medium better, whether I wanted to admit it or not.

When I asked him why so few people seemed to understand what I was grappling with, he had one question: "How many people in the TTRPG community aren't moral degenerates, and therefore have an opinion worth a damn?"

I know the answer to that question. And nodded. "Well, at least I know what I need to do."

So, later, I went to a third such friend, and recounted what had been told to me, and he looked at me confused: "Yeah, that's part of why I never tried beyond a single session with you. I didn't know where it was going, and I have enough uncertainty in life. I thought I told you that, fifteen years ago. I thought you knew already." 

I had forgotten.

Yeah, he'd said it then.

I hadn't heard him.

So, I protested that it wasn't an uncertain process, that it was something felt out, by the group. He asked me if that was congruent with what I believed groups of people were actually capable of, comfortably, or if it took more effort than most people could get away with.

He already knew the answer to that question. We laughed.

To decide what time is is to be in Hell, no matter the context. It is to be in winter, but to never be in Christmas.

I used to think the point of the game was the freedom to keep going forever, to invent the shape of the story as we went. What I actually had was a long winter with no Christmas at the end of it — session after session of treading water, waiting for an ending that no one was willing or able to call. My friends saw it clearly because they had already lived through the version that destroys you. 

They weren’t stupid. 

They weren't going to volunteer for the smaller one.

When someone who has had to rebuild their entire sense of reality tells you that your medium is fundamentally broken, the only ethical response is to listen. They demanded a structure that honors the journey by allowing it to finish. To ask a player to invest their heart and their personal myth into a story requires the basic decency of a structural guarantee. It requires a system that measures the stress of the journey, forces a climax, and promises a resolution. 

Finality is what gives choices meaning. 

Without the guarantee of an ending, no belief is actually tested, and no sacrifice actually matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment