Friday, September 15, 2023

Isom 1 and 2


So issue two came in, I sat down and read, and realized I needed to go back to issue one, even though I'd just read it a few days ago. It turns out Eric July really meant it when he said that each of these issues really are just parts in one longer story. Two also works backwards, making certain aspects of issue one read very differently. So instead of trying to review issue two of Isom on its "own" merits, I'm going to attempt to engage with it the way that July seems to want us to: as an extension and re-evaluation of issue one. So I sat down and read issues one and two, back-to-back. What we have here is a fully realized setting, with great storytelling, but my God the dialogue is starting to grate on me. These two parts set up a narrative bomb, one that hopefully part three lights up and everyone runs for the hills BECAUSE IT'S A BOMB.

First off, the production seems to be higher with issue two, which is really saying something. Maybe it's because I picked up one of the "not going to be around forever" covers? I dunno. I can tell you this: I kept pulling this book out of its included bag just to hold it, and prefer it to my copy of Isom 1 in terms of sheer production. Isom 2 is the best-produced book I own, hardcover or not. I also got this book with free shipping, and it came relatively quickly. So on a production and shipment standpoint I am a very happy camper when it comes to Isom 2. Rippaverse really knocked it out of the park here, and I openly think they deserve their success on this one part alone. There's pride in this production of these books. Isom 2 is also thirty pages more than Isom 1, at the same price. July had promised that as Rippaverse got more clout he'd keep the price the same and just keep folding more content in. He's keeping his promise. I noticed. I love it.

So, like I said before, issue two relies really heavily upon your reading of issue one. It is not a self-contained story at all, so do not order Isom 2 before ordering Isom 1. That being said, I read Isom 2, and then I went back and read them together. And a lot more jumped out at me about issue one. A lot of the worldbuilding that July did in issue one was lost on me, even after three read-throughs, and I found there were actually a bewildering amount of things I had missed. The narrative role of Isom in these two issues so far is to walk into these stories that are already evolving and mess them up by his sheer ignorance and honey badger energy. Avery's lack of any fucks to give is a bomb to the status quo. That's the shtick for Isom: he doesn't really know, he doesn't really care, and he's out bubblegum and excuses. He just wants those he cares about to be okay, and that's really just about the only thing he does actually care about. So far the Ill-Advised story is about the honey badger walking into a crowded room and pissing everyone off.

And you know what? It'd be so much more fun if the dialogue wasn't so freaking bad. I mean, my God, some of these lines of dialogue don't even need to be more than a word or two, and are a paragraph long. It's painfully distracting and I'm honestly about done with it. Granted, issue two is better about shutting up when absolutley necessary, but when it's necessary to give exposition or have a conversation the books go fully bad B-movie levels of dialogue. It hurts, honestly. Some of this shit is "show me on the doll where Eric July hurt you" levels of bad. And it's a real shame, because I can see what he's trying to go for and I like it! I'm really enjoying these issues, this is a slow burn done right! But please, Mr. Vocalist-Youtuber, for the love of God, shut up and let the art do the talking. Isom 2 identifies these moments more often, but when July messes up he does it worse.

I had said in my previous review of Isom 1 that I really don't like Cliff Richard's style, but his storytelling more than makes up for it. In Isom 2 some of Richard's base drawing just gets painful to look at in some spots, particularly three quarter turns. That being said, Richards pulls out the stops storytelling-wise, and by the end of issue two has done something truly impressive.  Just as I started rolling my eyes at the three-quarter portraits Richards started doing stuff with his storytellling I wish more artists even knew existed. The storytelling of Isom 2 is so freaking good I was almost cheering toward the end at some of the layouts. These are  truly fun books to look at folks. They just are. I love holding the books, opening them up, and just looking.

Now, this is all well and good, but now we have a question. Issues one and two have set up this web of events, all of which are explosive, and then ended on a real cliffhanger that could upset the whole applecart. Remember: endings are hard to write. July has set himself up for either a triumph or a failure. This guy doesn't suffer from a lack of balls, y'all! He's backed himself into a corner and is either going to come out swinging with Isom 3 or he's gonna fail, and spectacularly. I don't really see much of an inbetween here. July has absolutely no chill in any part of his narrative, and he's used the extra thirty pages to add more fuel to the fire.

Isom 1 and 2 are a lot of fun. The books are of amazing quality. I don't like the Richards's style but his storytelling is practically immaculate and more than makes up for any drafting issues I've got with his style. July clearly has the big picture very solidly in mind, and plays with the toys he introduces well, but holy crap the dialogue can get to be George Lucas levels of cringe. Given this is July's second book this is all forgiveable. He's trying to find his stride and he's relying upon those with more experience to carry him, which is hardly a crime. But honestly I'm a bit nervous for issue three. If July is smart about this he's going to delivers a fireworks-intensive third act, with some of the most intense storytelling I've seen in a long time.

But if  July is dumb about this he'll blow up the Rippaverse before it even truly starts.

We'll see.

I've had fun so far, I'll definitely be ordering Alphacore and Yaira! I'm excited to see where this is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment