Saturday, August 8, 2020

Marvel Champions: Hulk Pack


Well, that was fun. 

There are a lot of downsides to the Hulk: his stupidly small hand size, both Banner and Hulk. He can't thwart. Well, that's not true, he can technically thwart, but his thwart is a zero, so how helpful is that really? And a lot of Hulk's cards, the ones I really like, will effectively cost you your whole hand. Oh, and you discard your hand at the end of ever turn if you're in hero form! The number of times I had a good defensive hand that had to be discarded....

But in one of the games I played I was faced with something that would normally be insurmountable: tons and tons of minions, with side schemes galore; an overwhelming amount of stuff to face. I checked: none of the minions had guard. Rhino was at his full sixteen hit points. And I'd just drawn Hulk Smash. Along with Crushing Blow. I'd spent the time to build up the resource management engine Hulk's default deck comes with, so I could play both.

And I did.

Sixteen damage in one turn.

I didn't have to worry about dismantling the myriad ways I'd been screwed with a few bad draws. None of that mattered. I just emptied my hand and pounded Rhino into the ground so hard I could feel the tremors, from worlds away. Now, you have to smart about it. I don't see taking out Avengers Mansion and the Helicarrier anytime soon, honestly. It allows Hulk's deck to operate pretty smoothly, assuming you don't mind setting all this stuff up. Which I don't, BECAUSE HULK SMASH.

I would absolutely hand this deck to a new player. It's got an immense amount of power that only needs a little bit of patience to build into a raging monster, like the Hulk truly is.

And the rest of the pack ain't bad either! Beat Cop is a sea change for Justice, as my Spider-Man Justice deck just showed. You'll Pay For That helps solve some of the biggest issues with Aggression.

Now if only they could give Protection some real ways to mitigate threat.
Become a Patron!

1 comment:

  1. Even animated films were projected in theaters at times, but the glory of the old days was gone. Even the animation giant Disney, which had fought a corporate acquisition in the 80's, was considering abandoning the production of animated feature films. manga kakalot

    ReplyDelete