Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Hot and Cold: Session 0



So I am really excited about this Marvel Universe RPG, so I decided that I wanted to GM a game for it... now. Yeah, that's probably a bit rash on my end, but I'm not known for my patience, or my prudence. Fortunately Shmitty was more than happy to try out the game, with a few caveats: he did not want to be in the current Marvel Universe. He was pleased to find that I wasn't a great fan of the state of modern Marvel either. I basically pitched my article at him and he was happy enough to play in.. whatever it was we came up with? I'm sure that'll be defined over time.

So I asked Shmitty what he wanted to play, and he said he wanted to play the Hulk... who is possibly the most powerful character in the whole book, in terms of action economy. 21 red stones to play with once transformed? AH! I mean, I can handle it... I think. It's going to be a bit of a wild ride, but I think I have a good enough idea of how to handle the regen rate this guy's going to be doing. Shmitty was surprised that I said yes, but the Hulk's Shmitty's favorite character, why on earth would I tell him no?? To the deep end of the pool! Let's go!

The pitch that I threw at him from there was the Bruce Banner wandering around the American Southwest, desperately trying not to get caught by the authorities and running into weird small towns. We'd start in New Mexico, and I'd pick a random town for us to start in. The plan is to use Google Maps to navigate the town and get a good feel for it. I decided, for the lulz, to start in El Rito, NM. Obviously I don't know anyone there, so if anyone from there reads the blog HELLO! Please tell me if I'm getting the town... somewhat correct? I just needed a backdrop.

Anyway, we'll be wandering around places like that for the whole campaign. I pitched the idea of one town an Issue, which gives some time to get to know the inhabitants and do a few fun things and then move on. Shmitty seemed pretty fine with this. Fortunately I've got a lot of profiles I can use before ever needing to make anything.

EDIT: I usually have a song in mind whenever I GM a game.... and Andy sent me this. It... works. A dark game about PTSD, mental illness, and horrors beyond imagining deserves Katy Perry.


No comments:

Post a Comment