Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The Pull: October 2020 Edition

 


We are at a couple of different points in each of our respective titles this time around: Amazing Spider-Man is building to a conclusion, I think, Star Wars is building a new arc, and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is building to a conclusion, but I sure can't see the road right now. But that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Amazing Spider-Man 49

Okay, so this sucker is ten bucks, on its own. That is a lot of money. I already struggle with the price point of comics as they are, so for me the question is: is this worth my ten bucks? Did this issue  need to be this freaking large??

The main story, the teaming up of Spider-Man and the Green Goblin, is done rather well. It's essentially three issues plopped together as one, which means I already saved money! So check on that score! The story is well written and it's nice to see them acknowledge the shifting of artists with differing chapters, which allows for a cleaner break. I really like how they gave this particular story some room to breathe. Spencer manages to take even the worst parts of Peter's and Norman's relationship and breathes a life into it that is refreshing. One of Spencer's strengths has been using all the points of Spider-Man's lore, especially Strazcynski, who was all but ignored by Slott. Before Slott Peter had been on his way to becoming an actually mature individual, something that was walked back hardcore by Quesada and Slott. That unfortunate path seems to be in the process of being slowly undone, and this issue is proof that one does not need to see Peter Parker as an adolescent for forever to make him an engaging character. 

And that goes double for Norman, who is written with a sympathy and villainy that feels amazing to read. So many times people just want to write Norman as just a psychopath who is trying to keep his sanity, but Norman is so much more than that. He is a widower, a father, a terrible human being, a genocidal maniac. All of those things are true. 100% of the time. And Spencer treats Norman as possessing all those qualities and a lot more. So I had a great time just reading the main feature!

The backup features are acceptable, except for the last one "Family Affair", which features the Vulture's grand-daughter. I've never seen this character before, but I love how she was handled. Just love it. I love that Adrian Toomes has this softer side to him, dark and twisted as he can get, and I adore that Peter defeated her by just being himself, which I always think is the point of Peter as Spider-Man. I really want to see more of "Firecracker". I hope we do.

So yes, I'm pleasantly surprised to say that I think I got my money's worth here. Even the stories I don't like as much as what I've mentioned are good-hearted stories that are edifying. 


Star Wars 7

So this issue as a whole took me by surprise. I did not expect to see a tough-love side of Admiral Tarkin, of all people. Nor did I know I really wanted to! But they pulled it off really well here! Yeah, he's still an evil jerk, but I really like little twists like this, as it shows a more human side. Which does not mean sympathetic, by the way. Tarkin is a freaking monster, but he's really not that much different than most military officers that I met in my time in the Army, except in terms of scale. He wanted Commander Zahra to be the best of the best, and so he did what he thought he had to so she would be. If you think an officer wouldn't throw a protege away like this I'm going to disagree. The military means suppressing the part of yourself that feels compassion and light, at least for the majority of folks. And that's exactly what we're watching here, as Tarkin molds Zahara into someone who can do just that. It's quite a sight, particularly with the ending explaining Zahara's central drive. It will certainly make the rest of this story more relatable.

Might Morphin Power Rangers 54

This has been a very interesting title since I picked it up again. Parrott continues his puzzle pieces, detailing another threat to the universe that the Omega Rangers have to deal with. Up until the end I wondered why Parrott had taken the time to outline this episode in the Omega Rangers' lives, but given that they're coming to Earth at the same time the Dark Rangers are manifesting themselves to the Mighty Morphin team there's an inevitable crash incoming. It should be glorious!

I love how Parrott has nailed Jason's voice. Jason has always been one of those characters that so thoroughly believe in what he is doing that what we think of as corny one-liners and whatnot are actually complete and total belief. We  think it's corny because most of us can't conceive of someone believing that strongly, but that's the beauty of Jason: he does. He always does. He's a freaking amazing character and Parrott completely nails him in this issue.

All in all this was a really good pull. We're back to building for most of the titles, but that's not a bad thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment